Author: Jaime Nebrera, email@example.com, January 2002
Make a custom iso image of e-smith/mitel
I have a very customized ESSG 4.1.2 and everytime I break it (it's a test environment) I have to install ESSG and all the
needed updates and modifications. I just wanted to have a particular iso image so all the process would be faster and more secure. You can use this for whatever idea
you might have: install hundreds of clone servers, give a client the image of the server you have just installed, ...
- Install anaconda and anaconda-runtime rpms if you don't have them.
- Copy e-smith/mitel in ~/cd1
chmod u+w ~/cd1/RedHat/base/hdlist
chmod u+w ~/cd1/RedHat/base/comps
- REPLACE every rpm that you want to update, for example Apache
- IF you want to ADD a package copy it in ~/cd1/RedHat/RPMS/
- IF you have added some package, edit ~/cd1/RedHat/comps and add it's name in Customized Packages (or whatever you like best)
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --withnumbers --hdlist ~/cd1/RedHat/base/hdlist ~/cd1
cp ~/cd1/images/cdboot.img ~/images
mkisofs -V esmith -b ~/images/cdboot.img -c ~/boot.cat -r -T -o cd1.iso ~/cd1
That's it. Burn the iso image with your favorite application and install. Enjoy!!!
Resources and thanks
- Red Hat CD Howto
- Red Hat with ReiserFS mini howto
- E-smith advanced user forum (thanks for the cdboot.img suggestion :)))
- E-smith/Mitel they have a wonderfull product and a very good relation with developers
Copyright (c) 2002 by ENEO Tecnologia SC. This material may be distributed only
subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication
License, v1.0 or later (the latest version is presently available at